Operations Team Lead - Plant Bio Assays
About Pivot Bio:
At Pivot Bio, we are working together to transform agriculture, finding smarter, more sustainable and, ultimately, more profitable ways for farmers to grow. Working with and for farmers, we’re using cutting-edge science to create a microbial nitrogen for the world’s most vital crops. We are replacing synthetic fertilizers with a more sustainable, nature-driven plant nutrition that benefits farmers, consumers and the planet.
The Plant Bioassays Team at Pivot Bio is looking for an Operations Team Lead who is excited about the challenges of working with novel soil microbes in a high-impact, fast moving, and supportive team environment.
This position will advance Pivot Bio’s product discovery pipeline by planning, organizing, and executing experimentation using our proprietary plant measurement technology. Our in planta screening strategy utilizes proprietary analytical technology developed in-house to provide critical product performance data that informs improvements for downstream microbial engineering targets and advances candidates to field trials. This role will be responsible for transitioning new research applications out of development and into production and for the continual optimization and expansion of our key capabilities. As a Capability Lead for an in-demand resource, this role would work together with scientists from diverse departments and Project Managers to prioritize work and serve as a technical expert for experiment planning.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in assay validation, scaling, operations management, scheduling, and establishing/monitoring statistical process controls. We are looking for someone who is energized by process improvement and solving creatively. Experience working with plants in greenhouse or grow room studies is a plus but not required.
- Experience with assay screening and operations environments.
- A process-oriented mindset with a keen eye for detail.
- Experience in collaborating with customer groups to plan, schedule and execute workflows.
- Experience coordinating multiple people through complex tasks simultaneously.
- Experience delivering data packages on time to customers.
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills with experience in collaborating in interdisciplinary teams.
Required education and experience
- BS in biology, chemistry, biotechnology, bioengineering, chemical engineering, or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of industry experience, preferably within an operations environment, or equivalent amount of related experience.
- Experience running and managing biological screens and/or operations.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting analytical lab equipment.
- Experience using JMP, Tableau, Spotfire or other data visualization and analysis software.
- Experience using ASANA project management tools.
- Experience in statistical process control, failure mode analysis, root cause analysis, 5S, Six Sigma, and/or lean manufacturing.
- Comfortable with data analysis skills and software; ability to draw conclusions, troubleshoot, and communicate results from large data sets.
- Highly resourceful and comfortable working both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience mentoring and/or managing junior members.
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must be flexible and responsive to changing priorities.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs at a time with assistance
- Must be able to stand for at least two hour periods of time to conduct active laboratory work
- Very Frequent - Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Operating machinery and/or power tools
What we offer:
- Competitive package in a disruptive startup
- Stock options
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance with employer-paid premiums
- Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability policies
- Employee Assistance Program with free referrals and discounts
- 401(k) plan, 3% Match
- Commuter benefits
- Annual Training & Development support
- Flexible vacation policy with a generous holiday schedule
- Exciting opportunity to work with a talented and fun team
*Internal employees, please apply by clicking on the Internal Job Board icon on NSIDER
The salary range for this Berkeley, CA based position incorporates a premium for the cost of labor in this area. If this role is hired remotely, contact us for the lower range for National Benchmark. Following employment, growth beyond the hiring range is possible based on performance.